Thursday, June 11, 2009

How to Use a Smoker to BBQ Ribs .. or something ...

When you learn how to use a smoker you also can keep in mind that you don't need to use a traditional smoker. Every now and then I use my regular grill, on low with a foil packet of soaked wood chips.

So Here goes ... one of my all time favorite how to BBQ ribs recipes .. the video shows the last portion on grill the , but not the 4 hours before and all the prep involved. Let me tell you this, I spend more time preparing my ribs for the grill than I did dressing up for the Senior Prom ... LOL!

You'll notice that I always keep my copy of the Competition BBQ Secrets close at hand ... it is my "smoker Bible"!


Find the meatiest baby back ribs ... Costco has been selling some "dandy" ones recently. I like to cut them up into manageable slabs then rinse in cold water and pat dry. Now for the dry rub .. you can throw some spices in from the cabinet ... like cumin, Caribbean jerk, cinnamon, cayenne or whatever floats your boat that day or Carolina Sauces makes an awesome Bone Suckin' Rib Rub


I like to throw the rub into a large Ziploc, then shake the slabs to evenly coat and sear them in a hot cast iron skillet ... quickly and without burning them transfer in to a shallow glass baking dish ... once in the baking dish pour in a full can of beer, any kind will do ... this adds great flavor and keeps the ribs mighty moist ... then layer some fresh basil leaves from your herb garden and slices of sweet vidalia onion ... cover and pop into a 325 degree oven for 3-4 hours ... no peeking , now!

BigAl takes over from there .. it seems he uses beer in his portion of the BBQ, also ... but mostly for drinking and occasionally putting out a fire ... OH MY!

You have to see it to believe it ....



We used apple chips soaked in water for the smoke and some of Freddie Mitchell's famous Barbeque sauce that we bought when we visited Freddie Mitchells Brothers BBQ restaurant up in Lakeland.

When it came time to eat, the ribs literally fell off the bone. The meat was moist and exploded with flavor in your mouth ... even Houdini Clarke got in some major tongue action whipping it around the bone. Once you learn how to use a smoker ... you will never go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment