Monday, August 25, 2008

How to Use a Smoker with Brewski’s Brisket


This was sent to me by my good friends Brewski Bob and Aunt Patti. Well known on the Brown's Blue Bus Circuit and true champions in their own kitchen, I would go out of my way to eat at their kitchen table anyday ... LOL! I only wished they had sent me down some brisket!


Today “How To Use A Smoker” is going to smoke up some beef brisket. First we selected a butcher trimmed piece from a local warehouse club. We looked for a piece that has a nice even layer of fat on one side. Before going any further it’s a good idea to have a look at the brisket to determine which way the grain is running. You always want to slice it against the grain, and it’s much easier to determine the direction before placing on the BBQ smoker and the meat takes on that wonderful smoked look and color. After scoring the fat in a diagonal crisscross pattern (about 1” squares) we carefully rubbed every inch of the brisket with the dry rub, working it into every nook and cranny.

Brewski’s brisket rub:

1/2C paprika

1T chili powder

1/8C black pepper

1T garlic powder

1/8C kosher (coarse) salt

1T onion powder

1/8C sugar

1t cayenne pepper

Try to make the rub a day or two before to let the flavors marry together.

When rubbing the meat, I like to use a little olive oil spray to just barely moisten the rub if the meat juices are not sufficient. Next we wrap the meat tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning remove the brisket and allow it to reach room temperature before throwing it on the BBQ smoker fat side up. The plan is to smoke this 5.5lb piece for about 6 hours in a ~210 deg smoker. I’m going to use a remote reading digital thermometer to monitor the meat temp and let it smoke until it reaches 190 deg.

Today I am also going to try a mop. I don’t usually use a mop because opening the smoker every hour or so looses all the heat and really slows things down.

Brewski’s Basic mop:

1T Brewski’s Brisket Rub

12oz dark beer

1 small onion chopped fine

1/2C cider vinegar

2 cloves minced garlic

1/2C water

1T Worcestershire sauce

1/4C canola oil

1 small onion chopped finely

Make this up the day before and place in a non-reactive bowl. Be careful not to seal too tightly to let the carbonation escape. Heat the mop before using and mop the meat every hour or so, starting about the beginning of hour 3.

When you have reached the desired temperature remove the meat and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve on a bun, or not, with your favorite BBQ sauce and cold beverage. Add an ear of fresh picked sweet corn and a little homemade slaw ……… OooooohhhhWeeeeeee. Enjoy!

Comments: I used hickory this try, only because I could not readily find oak, which I would have preferred. After about 5 hrs the meat was at 151 deg and not moving, so I bumped the smoker temp up to 250. After a total time of about 7 hours (I think it slowed because of the mopping) the brisket finally reached 190 and was ready to come off. The results???………awesome!

Gosh, I can hardly write any comments on this delicious sounding smoker recipe because my eyes keep tearing up, or maybe it is the drool .... !

How to use a smoker ? Just ask Brewski!

No comments:

Post a Comment